Statistical Analysis of the Results of Synchronization of the Contours of Autonomic Control of Cardiovascular System During the Functional Test with Breathing of Variable Frequency
Aim — the study of characteristics of the interaction between the contours of autonomic regulation of the cardiovascular system.
Materials and methods. We studied the recordings of electrocardiograms and photoplethysmograms of 25 healthy subjects taken during the functional test with chirp breathing. Synchronization of the regulation contours was studied using the previously proposed approaches. Statistical analysis of the results was carried out.
Results. We have studied the rhythms with a frequency of about 0.1 Hz. It was revealed that these rhythms are synchronized under the influence of breath. We calculated the duration of the synchronization intervals.
Conclusion. The results support the hypothesis for autonomy and functional independence of the studied regulation contours.
1. Ponomarenko VI, Prokhorov MD, Karavaev AS, Kiselev AR, Gridnev VI, Bezruchko B.P. Synchronization of low-frequency oscillations in the cardiovascular system: Application to medical diagnostics and treatment. The European Physical Journal Special Topics. 2013;222(10):2687-2696. doi: 10.1140/epjst/e2013-02048-1.
2. Schafer C, Rosenblum MG, Abel HH, Kurths J. Synchronization in the human cardiorespiratory system. Physical Review E. 1999;60:857-870. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevE.60.857.
3. Billman GE. Heart rate variability — a historical perspective. Frontiers in Physiology. 2011;2(86):1-13. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.3389/fphys.2011.00086.
4. Synchronization: А Universal Concept in Nonlinear Sciences. Pikovsky A., Rosenblum M., Kurths J.: Cambridge University Press; 2001. doi:10.1017/cbo9780511755743.
5. Hramov AE, Koronovskii AA, Ponomarenko VI, Prokhorov MD. Detection of synchronization from univariate data using wavelet transform. Phys. Rev. E. 2007;75:056207. doi:http://dx.doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevE.75.056207
6. Hramov AE, Koronovsky AA, Ponomarenko VI, Prokhorov MD. Detecting synchronization of self-sustained oscillators by external driving with varying frequency. Physical Review E. 2006;73:026208. doi:http://dx.doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevE.73.026208.
7. Michael A. Cohen and J. Andrew Taylor. Short-term cardiovascular oscillations in man: measuring and modelling the physiologies. American Journal of Physiology. 2002;542:669. doi: 10.1113/jphysiol.2002.017483.
8. Rienzo MD, Parati G, Radaelli A, Castiglioni P. Baroreflex contribution to blood pressure and heart rate oscillations: time scales, time-variant characteristics and nonlinearities. Phil. Trans. R. Soc. A. 2009;367:1301–1318. doi: 10.1098/rsta.2008.0274.
9. Bernardi L, Radaelli A, Solda PL, Coats AJS, Reeder M, Calciati A, Garrard CS, Sleight P. Autonomic control of skin microvessels: assessment by power spectrum of photoplethysmographic waves. Clinical Science. 1996;90:345-355. doi: 10.1042/cs0900345.
10. Middleton PM, Tang CH, Chan GS, Bishop S, Savkin AV, Lovell NH. Peripheral photoplethysmography variability analysis of sepsis patients. Med. Biol. Eng. Comput. 2011; 49:337-47. doi: 10.1007/s11517-010-0713-z.
11. Parati G, Di Rienzo M, Castiglioni P et. al. Counterpoint: Cardiovascular variability is not an index of autonomic control of circulation. American Journal of Physiology. 2006;1016:676. doi: 10.1152/japplphysiol.00576.2006.
12. White L.B., Boashash B. Cross Spectral Analysis of Nonstationary Processes. IEEE Transactions on Information Theory. 1990;36(4): 830-835. doi: 10.1109/18.53742.
13. Gabor D. Theory of communication. Part 1: The analysis of information. In Journal of the Institution of Electrical Engineers - Part III: Radio and Communication Engineering. 1946;93(26):429-441.
14. Chan K.-S., Tong H. Chaos: A Statistical Perspective. Springer Series in Statistics. Springer Science & Business Media. 2013;300. doi: 10.1007/978-1-4757-3464-5.
Borovkova EI, Manafova EA, Zazulya AA, Karavaev AS, Kiselev AR. Statistical Analysis of the Results of Synchronization of the Contours of Autonomic Control of Cardiovascular System During the Functional Test with Breathing of Variable Frequency. Science & Innovations in Medicine. 2016(1):36-40.
Send an online application form to the publicationSend