Prolonged Air Leak After Lung Resection
Objectives – to analyze the causes of postoperative air leak and to propose a therapeutic and diagnostic algorithm for this complication.
Material and methods.The study includes the analysis of the prolonged air leak causes after various lung resections, the classification of the causes according to their affiliation, the designed definitions of basic concepts.
Results.The most common causes of prolonged air leakage are the incompetence of the lung resection line, the undetected (unresolved) cause of pneumothorax, the inadequate drainage system function.Various tactical approaches to this problem were described. Depending on the effectiveness of the auxiliary techniques, the indications for repeated operations were determined.
Conclusion.Knowledge of the causes of postoperative prolonged pathological air leak is the basis for the optimal management of patients after lung resection.
Conflict of Interest: nothing to disclose.
1. Eckert CE, Harris JL, Wong JB, Thompson S, Kassis ES, Tsuboi M, Ott HC, Force S. Preclinical quantification of air leaks in a physiologic lung model: effects of ventilation modality and staple design. Med Devices (Auckl).2018;11: 433-442.
2. Eberlein M, Parekh KR, Keech J, Redwan B, Bolukbas S. Prolonged air leak after lung resection and emphysema. Ann Thorac Surg. 2017;104(2):723-724.
3. Billè A, Borasio P, Gisabella M, Errico L, Lausi P, Lisi E, Barattoni MC, Ardissone F. Air leaks following pulmonary resection for malignancy: risk factors, qualitative and quantitative analysis. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2011;13(1):11-16.
4. Cerfolio RJ, Tummala RP, Holman WL, Zorn GL, Kirklin JK, McGiffin DC, Naftel DC, Pacifico AD. A prospective algorithm for the management of air leaks after pulmonary resection. Ann Thorac Surg. 1998;66:1726-1731.
5. Keshishyan S, Revelo AE, Epelbaum O. Bronchoscopic management of prolonged air leak. J Thorac Dis. 2017;9(suppl 10):S1034-S1046.
Korymasov EA, Benyan AS. Prolonged Air Leak After Lung Resection.Science & Innovations in Medicine. 2018;4(12):36—40.
Send an online application form to the publicationSend