The effectiveness of rehabilitation of patients with multiple sclerosis in virtual reality
Objectives – to review the results of the use of virtual reality for the rehabilitation of patients with multiple sclerosis.
Material and methods. А bibliographic review of the PubMed database was conducted using the keywords "multiple sclerosis" and "virtual reality". The review was performed in accordance with the recommendations of the "Preferred Reporting Items for Systematic reviews and Meta-analysis" (PRISMA).
Results. The analysis included 45 articles. Only 10 articles were subjected to final analysis.
Conclusion. Virtual reality is a potentially effective alternative to traditional motor rehabilitation for patients with multiple sclerosis.
Conflict of Interest: nothing to disclose.
1. Poverennova IE, Greshnova IV, Zharinova NO, et al. Influence of PITRS on quality of life of patients with multiple sclerosis. Science & Innovations in Medicine. 2018;3(11):53–56. (In Russ.).
2. Ortiz-Gutierrez R, Cano-de-la-Cuerda R, Galan-del-Rio F, et al. A telerehabilitation program improves postural control in multiple sclerosis patients: a Spanish preliminary study. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2013;10(11):5697–5710. doi: 10.3390/ijerph10115697
3. Laver K, George S, Ratcliffe J, Crotty M. Virtual reality stroke rehabilitation – hype or hope? Aust Occup Ther J. 2011;58(3):215–219. doi: 10.1111/j.1440-1630.2010.00897.x
4. Lehrer N, Attygalle S, Wolf SL, Rikakis T. Exploring the bases for a mixed reality stroke rehabilitation system, (part I): a unified approach for representing action, quantitative evaluation, and interactive feedback. J Neuroeng Rehabil. 2011;8:51. doi: 10.1186/1743-0003-8-51
5. Hutton B, Salanti G, Caldwell DM, et al. The PRISMA extension statement for reporting of systematic reviews incorporating network meta-analyses of health care interventions: checklist and explanations. Ann Intern Med. 2015 Jun 2;162(11):777–84. doi: 10.7326/M14-385
6. Sampson P, Freeman C, Coote S, et al. Using functional electrical stimulation mediated by iterative learning control and robotics to improve arm movement for people with multiple sclerosis. IEEE Transactions on Neural Systems and Rehabilitation Engineering. 2016;24(2):235–248. doi: 10.1109/tnsre.2015.2413906
7. Eftekharsadat B, Babaei-Ghazani A, Mohammadzadeh M, et al. Effect of virtual reality-based balance training in multiple sclerosis. Neurol Res. 2015;37(6):539–544. doi: 10.1179/1743132815y.0000000013
8. Baram Y, Miller A. Virtual reality cues for improvement of gait in patients with multiplesclerosis. Neurology. 2006;66(2):178–181. doi: 10.1212/01.wnl.0000194255.82542.6b
9. Pyatin VF, Kolsanov AV, Sergeeva MS, et al. Changes in patterns of sensorimotor EEG rhythms during motor imagery. Nauka i innovacii v medicine. 2016;1(1):46–51. (In Russ.).
10. Jonsdottir J, Perini G, Ascolese A, et al. Unilateral arm rehabilitation for persons with multiple sclerosis using serious games in a virtual reality approach: Bilateral treatment effect? Mult Scler Relat Disord. 2019. Jul;35:76–82. doi: 10.1016/j.msard.2019.07.010
11. Waliño-Paniagua CN, Gómez-Calero C, Jiménez-Trujillo MI, et al. Effects of a game-based virtual reality video capture training program plus occupational therapy on manual dexterity in patients with multiple sclerosis: a randomized controlled trial. J Healthc Eng. 2019. Apr 22;2019:1–7. doi: 10.1155/2019/9780587
12. Leocani L, Comi E, Annovazzi P, et al. Impaired short-term motor learning in multiple sclerosis: evidence from virtual reality. Neurorehabilitation Neural Repair. 2007;21(3):273–278. doi: 10.1177/1545968306294913
13. Lozano-Quilis JA, Gil-Gomez H, Gil-Gomez JA, et al. Virtual rehabilitation for multiple sclerosis using a kinect-based system: randomized controlled trial. JMIR Serious Games. 2014;2(2):12. doi: 10.2196/games.2933
Zakharov AV, Khivintseva EV, Kolsanov AV, Voronin AS. The effectiveness of rehabilitation of patients with multiple sclerosis in virtual reality. Science & Innovations in Medicine. 2019;4(3):25-29. doi: 10.35693/2500-1388-2019-4-3-25-29
Send an online application form to the publicationSend