A new method of endonasal dacryocystorhinostomy
Objectives – to improve the quality of surgical treatment of patients with chronic dacryocystitis.
Material and methods. Six people participated in the study. All the examined and operated patients were diagnosed with chronic dacryocystitis. The patients' examination included the consultation of an ophthalmologists, an otolaryngologist, and an internist, a CT scan of nose, paranasal sinuses, nasolacrimal canal, a video endoscopic study of the nasal cavity. Each patient had indications for surgery. An endonasal dacryocystorhinostomy was performed under the control of video endoscopic technique using the N.V. Volov's Elevator. The surgical approach – via the inferior nasal meatus, under the inferior nasal concha. The surgical method – breaking out of the bone window is performed by turning the elevator medially from the side of the lachrymal sac into the nasal cavity.
Results. There were no intraoperative complications. The operation time was less than five minutes. The treatment was carried out on an outpatient basis. During the follow-up period (2–6 months) no relapses were registered. These facts can be regarded as the advantages of this method of surgical treatment of dacryocystitis.
Conclusion. The method of endonasal dacryocystorhinostomy, performed through the inferior nasal meatus using an elevator, significantly reduces the time of formation of the bone window and the imposition of the anastomosis between the lachrymal sac and the nasal cavity. The process of intraoperative search for the projection of the nasolacrimal canal simplifies. It also reduces the wound surface and shortens the rehabilitation period.
Conflict of Interest: nothing to disclose.
1. Magomedov MM, Andriayshkin DV, Magomedova MN, Zeinalova DF. Topographical and anatomical localization of the lacrimal passages in the nasal cavity.Vestnik otorinolaringologii. 2017;82(3):31–33. (In Russ.). doi.org:10.17116/otorino201782331-33
2. Vavin VV, Nazhmudinov II, Davudov HSh. The use of microflaps in the primary surgical treatment og the pathology pfthe nasolacrimal canal. Russian Rhinology. 2019;27(2):65–69. (In Russ.). doi.org/rosrino20192702165
3. Shkolnik SF, Shkolnik GS. Tears as an interdisciplinary problem. Russian Rhinology. 2019;27(1):28–34. (In Russ). doi.org/10.17116/rosrino20192701128
4. Selected lectures on ophthalmology. Ed. by Takhchidi HP. Moscow, 2008. (In Russ.).
5. Bastrikov NI. Diseases of the lacrimal organs and methods of their treatment. Rostov-on-Don, 2007. (In Russ.).
6. Aznabaev MT, Aznabaev BM, Fattahov BT, Klyavlin RR. Laser dacryocystorhinostomy. Ufa, 2005. (In Russ.).
7. Shkolnik GS. The advantages of coblation endonasal dacryocystorhinostomy. Russian Rhinology. 2019;27(2):89–92. (In Russ.). doi.org/rosrino20192702189
Volov NV. A new method of endonasal dacryocystorhinostomy. Science & Innovations in Medicine. 2020;5(1):14-16. doi: 10.35693/2500-1388-2020-5-1-14-16
Send an online application form to the publicationSend