Evaluation of mucociliary clearance in the postoperative period after a maxillary sinus surgery
Objectives – evaluation of the local function of the mucociliary clearance (MCC) in the postoperative period in patients with foreign bodies in the maxillary sinuses, who have undergone various surgical treatment.
Material and methods. Using an original analysis technique for high-speed digital video recording of a microscopic picture of a specimen, obtained by brush biopsy from specific regions of the nasal cavity and paranasal sinus under endoscopic control, the MCC of the nasal mucosa was evaluated in the control group (n=60) and in the group of patients, who received various surgery (n=60) of maxillary sinuses.
Results. We obtained the data on persistent and apparent local MCC disorders in the field of the surgical intervention in the postoperative period.
Conclusion. Surgical interventions with access not in the area of the natural ostium of the maxillary sinus are more gentle, since they do not injure the mucociliary clearance in the key region – the ostium.
Conflict of Interest: nothing to disclose.
1. Zakharova GP, Yanov YuK, Shabalin VV Mucociliary system of the upper respiratory tract. SPb: Dialog; 2010. (In Russ.).
2. Markov GI. Transport function of the atrial epithelium of the nasal mucosa in various diseases. Vestnikotorinolaringologii. 1985;4;36–38. (In Russ.).
3. Piskunov SZ. Physiology and pathophysiology of the nose and paranasal sinuses. Rossiiskaya rinologiya.1993;1;19–39. (In Russ.).
4. Piskunov SZ, Zav'yalov FN, Erofeev LN. Study of the mucociliary transport system of the nasal mucosa in healthy individuals. Rossiiskaya rinologiya. 1995;3–4;60–62. (In Russ.).
5. Rikhel'mann G, Lopatin AS. Mucociliary transport: experimental and clinical evaluation. Rossiiskaya rinologiya. 1994;4;33–47. (In Russ.).
6. Apostolidi GK. Endoscopic surgery of the maxillary sinuses for chronic sinusitis. Vestnik natsional'nogo mediko-khirurgicheskogo tsentra im. N.I. Pirogova. 2007;2(1);75–82.
7. Myller J, Toppila-Salmi S, Torkkeli T, Heikkinen J, Rautiainen M. Effect of endoscopic sinus surgery on antral mucociliary clearance. Rhinology. 2006;44(3):193–196.
8. Elwany S, Hisham M, Gamaee R. The effect of endoscopic sinus surgery on mucociliary clearance in patients with chronic sinusitis. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol. 1998;255(10):511–4.
9. Bizaki AJ, Numminen J, Taulu R, Rautiainen MA. Controlled, Randomized Clinical Study on the Impact of Treatment on Antral Mucociliary Clearance: Uncinectomy Versus Balloon Sinuplasty. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol.2016;125(5):408–14. doi: 10.1177/0003489415618676
Mareev OV, Mareev GO, Fedosov IV, Ermakov IY. Evaluation of mucociliary clearance in the postoperative period after a maxillary sinus surgery. Science & Innovations in Medicine. 2020;5(1):23-27. doi: 10.35693/2500-1388-2020-5-1-23-27
Send an online application form to the publicationSend