Comparison of pharmacological activity of hawthorn fruits preparations
Objectives – a comparative study of antidepressant activity and diuretic action of water and water-alcohol preparations of the fruits of Crataegus sanguinea Pall. and Crataegus submollis Sarg.
Materials and methods. The study covers the water and alcohol-water extracts from the fruits of hawthorn blood-red (Crataegus sanguinea Pall.) and Quebec hawthorn (Crataegus submollis Sarg.). The comparative study of the antidepressant activity and the diuretic action of the preparations was carried out on white mongrel rats of both sexes.
Results. The liquid extracts of fruits Crataegus sanguinea Pall. and Crataegus submollis Sarg. at a dose of 100 µl/kg revealed an antidepressant activity. Decoctions of Crataegus sanguinea Pall. and Crataegus submollis Sarg. at a dose of 100 µl/kg had a pronounced diuretic and saluretic activity. Pharmacotherapeutic effects of the studied preparations can be explained by the presence of flavonoids in them.
Conclusion. The preparations of the fruits of Crataegus sanguinea Pall. and Crataegus submollis Sarg. can be recommended as antidepressant and diuretic agents. The fruits of Crataegus submollis Sarg. are the promising medicinal plant raw materials.
Conflict of Interest: nothing to disclose.
1. The State Pharmacopoeia of the Russian Federation. XIV edition. Ministry of Health of the Russian Federation. Moscow, 2018. (In Russ.). URL: http://femb.ru/femb/pharmacopea.php
2. Kurkina AV. Flavonoids of pharmacopoeial plants: monograph. Samara, 2012. (In Russ.).
3. Kurkin VA, Kurkina AV, Zaitceva EN, et al. Diuretic and antidepressant activity of a thick extract of hawthorn blood-red. Byulleten' sibirskoj mediciny. 2015;14(3):18–22. (In Russ.).
4. Trees and shrubs of the USSR. Edition of the USSR Academy of Sciences/ Moscow–Leningrad; 1954;3:872 (In Russ.).
5. Morozova TV, Kurkin VA, Pravdivtseva OE, et al. The content of total flavonoids in the fruits and shoots of some hawthorn species. Aspirantskij vestnik Povolzh'ja. 2018;1–2:22–24. (In Russ.).
6. Kurkin VА, Shaikhutdinov IKh, Pravdivtseva OE. Patent of RF for the invention "Method for quantitative determination of the total flavonoids in the fruits of Crataegus submollis Sarg.". No. 2695760 from 25.07.2019. (In Russ.).
7. Habriev RU. Manual on experimental (preclinical) study of new pharmacological substances. M.: Medicina, 2005. (In Russ.).
Kurkin VA, Zaitceva EN, Avdeeva EV, Stenyaeva VV, Shaikhutdinov IKh, Zhdanovа AV. Comparison of pharmacological activity of hawthorn fruits preparations. Science & Innovations in Medicine. 2020;5(2):136-139. doi: 10.35693/2500-1388-2020-5-2-136-139
Send an online application form to the publicationSend